R.A. Gamagami, M.D., F.A.C.S., is a board-certified practicing general surgeon in New Lenox, Illinois. He has spent over twenty-five years providing surgical services to patients in academic, rural and urban settings. With his extensive credentials, surgical talent and compassionate bedside manner, Dr. Gamagami has truly distinguished himself as one of the area’s most trusted and requested general surgeons.
Keeping at the forefront of medicine’s most current advances to provide superior patient outcomes, comfort and satisfaction, Dr. Gamagami has pioneered many advanced surgical procedures, being the first in the Chicago southwest suburban and Joliet metropolitan areas to offer and perform:
- First surgical practice to offer single-incision cholecystectomy (gallbladder surgery);
- First surgical practice to offer minimally invasive gallbladder and colon surgeries using the robotic da Vinci® Surgical System;
- Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy;
- First major liver resection using the Habib technique (radio frequency assisted liver resection);
- Mammosite (5-day targeted radiation for breast cancer);
- First surgical practice to offer and utiilize BRACAnalysis® (genetic testing for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer [HBOC] syndrome);
- First to offer MammaPrint (genomic testing for breast cancer to help provide unique and targeted treatment to breast cancer patients based on personal risks for recurrence);
- The only gastrointestinal board certified surgeon in Will County who has be given the designation of a Total Mesorectal Excision (TME) surgeon. TME is now considered the gold standard for tumors of the middle and the lower rectum.
- First surgical practice to offer ColonRing Compression Anastomosis (technique using a medical device that helps your body heal after colon surgery with minimized risk of complications); and
- Minimally invasive gallbladder and colon surgeries using the robotic da Vinci® Surgical System.
- First in Will County to offer LINX®, an innovative treatment for chronic heartburn.
Due to his extensive training and expertise in robotic surgery, Dr. Gamagami has been appointed as an Epicenter Surgeon for da Vinci Surgical. Surgeons come from across North and South America every week to learn from Dr. Gamagami, who uses robotic technology for general, colon and rectal surgery. Dr. Gamagami was the first surgeon to perform the area’s first Single-Site da Vinci® Si Cholecystectomy (robotic gallbladder surgery) at Silver Cross Hospital and is a leading expert for this and other digestive disorder surgeries in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. Epicenter surgeons, like Dr. Gamagami, act as mentors for newly trained da Vinci® robotic surgeons to promote ongoing learning.
Dr. Gamagami performs a full range of digestive surgeries: Esophagectomy, Gastrectomy, Nissen, Complex and Redo Paraesophagealhernia, Cholecystectomy (Single Port), Colectomy (right, left, sigmoid and rectal) with both stapled and intracorporeal anastomosis, liver resection, distal pancreatectomy with or without spleen preservation, hernias (inguinal, ventral, incisional, paracolostomy, paraileostomy, and total mesorectal excision.
1890 Silver Cross Blvd.
Suites 410 & 520
New Lenox, IL 60451